Debra Bowen, running for secretary of the state of California, has proposed the following “Voter Bill of Rights.” As a matter of civil rights, those which proceed from the nature of a government which purports to be democratic in nature, these seem like rather obvious ones which unfortunately do not seem to be respected in the present federal and state administrations. These are the rights she pronounces.
- The right to register to vote.
- The right to vote.
- The right to vote in a tamper-proof election.
- The right to vote on paper.
- The right to have each vote counted accurately.
- The right to have election results properly audited.
- The right to an open, transparent, public process.
- The right to elections officials who operate free of partisan influence.
- The right to know that elected officials are free from the influence of campaign contributions from voting machine vendors.
- The right to find out how money is being raised and spent in the political process.
If you can’t get those guarantees, there is no way to avoid electoral corruption, which results in a denial of democracy.
Hat-tip to Brad Friedman.